A natural extension of education and training activities is consulting and project work. ITRISA’s consulting services are wide-ranging. They cover most trade-related issues from export/import requirements for fresh produce and other sensitive goods, and product classification, to determining the impact of free trade agreements on a local motor vehicle assembler’s operation and the duties levied on competitive Chinese products in a local company’s various export markets.
ITRISA has also assisted major corporates in personnel selection for key export managerial positions, adjudicated the annual SAAFF Young Freight Forwarder of the Year contest, headed up the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) export task team charged with the scoping of export qualifications and assisted the Transport Education & Training Authority (TETA) with the qualification scoping exercise for Supply Chain Management
Projects undertaken include:
- The drafting of export unit standards and the production of generic course reference material against these standards for the Maritime Industry Training Board/South African Association of Freight Forwarders (SAAFF).
- The development of the multimedia SEDA Export Orientation course.
- The production of a trade promotion/development strategy for the City of Tshwane.
- The facilitation of duty drawbacks on certain products exported by various companies.
- The undertaking, in partnership with the UCT Graduate School of Business, of an exporter needs analysis, competitor analysis, and export service provider analysis in the Western Cape, and thereafter the design of an optimal business model and business plan to meet the identified needs. The project included the training of City of Cape Town officials responsible for the management and roll-out of trade programmes; and the development of a Western Cape export service provider directory.
- The undertaking of an export training needs analysis for the DTI, producing a proposed strategy and implementation model to meet these needs.
- The training, in partnership with North-West University, of South Africa’s Foreign Economic Representatives in trade promotion.
- The development of a policy and procedures manual for South Africa’s Trade Points.
- The evaluation of the operational efficiencies of existing local Trade Points, the identification of the obstacles hindering the establishment of new Trade Points; and thereafter the provision of advice to Government on the actions needed to accelerate Trade Point effectiveness.
- The development and conduct of an advanced exporter training programme for Trade & Investment KwaZulu Natal (TIKZN) and the conduct of on-site consultancy for participating companies. (ITRISA has now run eight of these programmes in Durban.)
- The conduct of training, on behalf of the Gauteng Growth and Development Agency (GGDA) for GGDA’s Exporter Development Programme, a project aimed at increasing Gauteng’s active exporter base by 2000 over a five-year period.
- The design of an export mentorship programme and a market linkages programme for Wesgro, the Western Cape Trade & Investment Promotion Agency.
- The mapping of South African qualifications against the FIATA (International Association of Freight Forwarders) post-graduate Higher Diploma in Supply Chain Management, and the ranking of training providers according to quality of training provision for the FIATA qualifications.